Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The beginning of a new PC: Ben Sheets

I was aware of Ben Sheets as a MLB player, but I hadn't really followed his career much.  In fact I didn't even know he had been out of baseball for a few years before the Braves signed him earlier this year.  How could one not get behind a guy like Sheets in 2012?  I'm not going to go hog wild buying up his cards, but when I came across a few autos of his online I couldn't resist.  As I continue to scan my backlogged cards I'll share more, but for now here are the first two purchases of his I made.

2002 Fleer Authentix Ripped auto
2002 Fleer Authentix
2005 Donruss Prime Patches Portraits auto #39/93
2005 Donruss Prime Patches #39/93




I love the pseudo ticket look of 2002 Fleer Authentix, but my favorite of the pair has to be the Donruss Prime Patches card.  Jersey, hat, shoe, pants and an auto.  Plus it's #'d out of 93.  Yeah it's a sticker auto, but at least Donruss embedded the sticker in the card.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Being a Brewers fan I'm very aware of the rise and fall and hopefully return of Mr. Sheets. When he was healthy he was in the top tier of starters, but unfortunetly he seemed to always be hurt. And for some reason down the road you don't want to collect him anymore I'd always be willing to take those off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His comeback was one of two that I had my eye on this year (Lew Ford of the Orioles was the other). I am glad he got to comeback and have a successful year. I was a little surprised to see him retire so quickly this offseason though. I thought he had at least a little more gas in the tank.

    ReplyDelete