Tuesday, June 5, 2012

@brentandbecca

I'm sure most bloggers are familiar w/ Brent Williams aka @brentandbecca.  Just today I was reading an article on The Cardboard Connection about his thoughts on 2012 Topps Archives and it got me thinking.

How many of you have thought about doing what Brent does?  Obviously opening 15-40 cases of product to re-sell is a lot of work.  Would that much work sour what is a fun hobby for you?

One of the reasons I started hosting group breaks some time ago was to open a lot of packs.  There is just something about opening a pack of cards that is so much fun.  The mystery and intrigue may only last for a 30 seconds or whatever when you end up staring at a bunch of commons...but most of would agree we all like to rip packs regardless of the end result.

I know for myself I've thought about buying several boxes or a case of cards before to open and re-sell.  Heck, when I was in college I interviewed the owner of a local hobby store for my small business management course.  I've always thought about owning my own collectibles store.  I'm more than just trading cards.  Toys, video games, music, movies, comics...you name and I've probably collected it at one point or another. 

While I've had big dreams when it comes to making it a reality I get cold feet.  I'm not made of money.  In fact my wife and I struggle at times just to make ends meet.  There has been many of times I've walked into my "man cave" and looked for something to sell.  It's not that we live over our means, it just means we've fallen on hard times (employment issues, health insurance issues, medical bills, etc.).  Thankfully I was raised in a way where I can prioritize things and realize that these material things are second nature to the health and well being of my family.  Oops, sorry to get off topic there a little.  I think the only thing I've done to make some of my dreams a reality was to open an eBay store a few years back to sell a lot of extra G.I. Joe and Transformers toys and parts.  I experimented w/ trading cards in the store, but I didn't have an outlet to advertise if you will what I had.

I've never been willing to take that financial risk to do what he does.  Perhaps if I had more to "risk" I'd give it a try.

Speaking of family that is another part of Brent's story that I find compelling.  Not only is he married, but he is also a father.  Somehow he manages (or at least seems to) opening all of those cases/boxes/packs and his family.  I'm impressed.  Let's face it.  Baseball cards can be lots of work.  Think about all of the collating, scanning, listing items on eBay or wherever and the process of mailing everything you sell.  One of the reasons I'm taking June off from my group break hosting duties is to take breather from all of this.  It's fun, but in large volumes I can only imagine at how much work he does.  Sounds like again his family is behind him and helps him w/ these various processes.

We all collect for different reasons.  Not all of us get the same satisfaction from the same thing when it comes to the hobby of trading cards.  If money wasn't an issue nor was the time it takes to do what Brent does...would you be a master case breaker and re-seller?

Given the chance I've love to take a stab at it.  Perhaps one day (when things improve for me & my family) I'd be willing to go out on a limb and try...in a smaller capacity of course!

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to try it once because I absolutely love opening packs. But as you mentioned, I'm skiddish about it because of the initial financial investment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If money was no issue, I would open one case of each new product. I wouldn't go beyond that probably, except for maybe Allen and Ginter.

    ReplyDelete