Thursday, March 22, 2012

Chipper to retire after the 2012 season

Chipper has announced today that the upcoming 2012 season will be his last.  I can't say that I'm surprised, but that doesn't mean he won't be missed.

He'll turn 40 this year and he's spent his entire career w/ the Braves.  In this day and age of free agency in sports it's refreshing to see a player remain dedicated to the team that drafted them.

With the current trend of retired players still appearing on cardboard I'm sure us Braves fans will have plenty of new cards to chase in the years to come.  It's been a great ride, now let's finish strong!

** Listing to his press conference **  
I love how he is saying he's ready to be a Full Time Dad.  Wow, that just speaks volume to the type of guy he is.  Man the club just isn't going to the same after this year.

5 comments:

  1. Wow it's hard to believe. Seems like yesterday I was watching Chipper as a rookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll raise a glass to Chipper, he's been the team lifer, play-the-right-way guy everybody should appreciate more. He's an easy first-ballot HOFer and can definitely be proud of an excellent career that included a championship. I'm glad I got to enjoy his entire career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the skill of Chipper, I would be shocked if he remains on the ballot more than one year. Definite first year election if I was a voter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sewingmachinedad and I went to Comerica for an inter-league game between the Tigers and Braves a few yaers back. Chipper went oppo to deep left center, and I mean way deep left center. The outfield fence is one of the deepest in the majors. Behind left field are the bullpens, and then 20 or 30 more rows of seats. Larry cleared it all and hit the ball off the brick wall beyond. It was a cold rainy day, and it didn't matter. That dude is a great hitter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw him play in person, but he always seemed like a great player and good guy. First you guys lose Bobby and now Chipper. That's a pretty sweet card too.

    ReplyDelete