Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pack Break - 2000 WCW Nitro Slap Pack

Photobucket

In celebration of WWE Wrestlemania 27 to be held in Atlanta, GA later this evening I wanted to share some new cheap-o packs of cards I picked up in the Power Pack discount box @ Target the other day.  Since WWE bought out WCW I figured that this pack still applied to today's theme.  I didn't know these cards were part of a trading card game until after I purchased them.  Wizards of the Coast produced them in 2000 just as the WCW brand was starting to lose stream and ratings to the WWE.  Let's hope that my 99 cents wasn't wasted!

Photobucket

Well, not much positive I can say about these cards other than they are of your traditional trading card game variety.  The cards have rounded corners and feel like playing cards.  None of the pictured wrestlers are actually mentioned on the cards themselves.  Each card is basically a move from what I can tell with a box of info in the bottom portion of the card.  Stopped Cold appears to feature one of the Nasty Boys?  Piledriver appears to be Disco Inferno dropping Buff Bagwell on his head.  Swinging Neckbreaker has to be Brad Armstrong based off the large "B A" I see on the side of the guy's boots.  Some of the cards feature a quote from ring announcer Tony Schiavone.  Man I miss that guy.  Outside of the WWE's Jim Ross he was one of the better ring announcers in my opinion.

Photobucket

Big Splash - that looks like Vampiro.  Don't remember much about him.  Loud Fans - is this an actual shot from a live show?  It's looks so posed.  I know wrestling fans have a certain geeky stereo type and the guy and gal up front giving each other a high five doesn't help!  Low Blow - Double J Jeff Jarrett of current TNA fame.  Never did like him.

Photobucket

Vertical Suplex - hard to tell who is executing the suplex, but it looks like Jeff Jarrett is on the receiving end.  Ms. Hancock Shows Off - Just look at the long legs and there is no mistake this is Stacy Kiebler.  I forgot she first debuted under this name.  Jimmy Hart - the "Mouth of the South" manager.  Man was that guy ever super annoying!

Photobucket

The 2nd to last card in the pack is this shiny Billy Kidman card.  Not sure if these are one per pack or not or if the card has any special ability when it comes to playing the game.  Kidman is probably best remembered for his finishing move - the Shooting Star Press - a backwards flip off the top turnbuckle.  That and he "dated" Torrie Wilson.

My worst fear came true.  I wasted a good 99 cents here.  I knew I should have bought another pack of those Upper Deck Hulk comic & film cards instead!  While I love wrestling and watched more WCW than WWE growing up I can honestly recommend not wasting your time here.  If anyone wants these cards please let me know as I have absolutely no desire to keep these!

No comments:

Post a Comment